Conference on Ethics & Governance in Chennai
The third conference on ‘Ethics & Corporate Governance’ by National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) was successfully held in collaboration with the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) on December 27, 2013 at hotel Le Royal Meridien, Chennai.
Shri Sandip Ghose, Director-NISM, welcoming the participants and dignitaries to the conference. Sharing the dais with him are Ms. Chitra Ramkrishna, MD & CEO – NSE (middle) and Chief Guest Shri Prashant Saran, Whole Time Member – SEBI (right)
Shri Anantha subramanian, President–ICSI and Shri Sandip Ghose, Director–NISM welcomed the participants and dignitaries present at the event. Ms. Chitra Ramkrishna, MD & CEO–National Stock Exchange India Ltd. (NSE) delivered the Keynote Address. It was followed by the inaugural address from Shri Prashant Saran, Whole Time Member–Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
During the three technical sessions at the conference, the speakers provided their perspectives on the concept of Ethics and Corporate Governance and its relevance in the present-day Corporate Culture.
In the first technical session chaired by Dr. J. Sadakkadulla, Regional Director Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the panelists Dr. L. S. Ganesh, Professor& Dean, IIT Madras and Shri Koosai Lehery, Director, Accounting Advisory Services, KPMG, provided an Academic Perspective on Ethics and Corporate Governance.
Dr. Ganesh approached the topic with a general perspective and asserted that the intent and knowledge of the negative effects of one`s decisions should provide oneself a better gauge of whether one`s actions are ethical or not. Shri Lehery had a more specific approach to the topic and explained how the various stakeholders esp. the Independent Directors are required by regulations to ensure the better Governance standards in today`s organizations. Dr. Sadakkadulla summarized the discussion and opened the session for questions.
In the second technical session chaired by Dr. Bala V Balachandran, Dean – Great Lakes Institute of Management (GLIM), the panelists Shri M. S. Sundararajan, Former Chairman & Managing Director – Indian Bank and Ms. Asha Nair, Director & General Manager – United India Insurance Company (UIIC) provided a Practitioner`s perspective on the subject of Ethics and Corporate Governance. The panelists sighted various personal experiences and examples to urge the event participants to maintain ethical behavior and promote healthy corporate culture at their respective organizations.
This was followed by a third technical session focusing on the Regulatory Perspective on Ethics and Corporate Governance and chaired by Shri M S Sahoo, Secretary – ICSI. The panelists Shri C R Muralidharan, Former Whole Time Member, Insurance and Regulatory Development Authority (IRDA) and Shri V S Sundaresan, Chief General Manager, SEBI gave the Regulatory Perspective on Ethics and Corporate Governance.
Shri Anantha subramanian, delivered the concluding remarks which marked the closing of the conference.
Conference on Ethics & Governance in Kolkata
The second conference on ‘Ethics & Corporate Governance’ by National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) was successfully held in collaboration with the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) on December 11, 2013 at The Park, 17 Park Street, Kolkata.
Shri Sandip Ghose welcoming the participants at the conference. Shri Dipankar Gupta,Retd. Prof Jawaharlal Nehru University& Member Central Board, Reserve Bank of India, Chief Guest Shri Anand Sinha, Dy. Governor, Reserve Bank of India and Shri Ashish Chauhan, MD & CEO, Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd.,respectively from left, are seen sharing the dai
Shri Anantha subramanian, President, ICSI, introduced the topic to the audience. Shri Sandip Ghose welcomed the guests and the gathering.
The Chief Guest Shri Anand Sinha, Dy. Governor, Reserve Bank of India, in his inaugural address focused on the need for complying with corporate governance principles in management of organizations. He deliberated upon the ethical standards to be followed by financial institutions in India.
Shri Dipankar Gupta, Retd. Prof Jawaharlal Nehru University & Member Central Board, RBI and authority on the subject - corporate governance, made the keynote address.
The conference theme was discussed in three technical sessions as follows:
1) Shri M. S. Sahoo, Secretary ICSI, Shri P. K. Choudhury, Chairman and Group CEO, ICRA Ltd. and Prof. R. P. Banerjee, Director, Eastern Institute for Integrated Learning in Management, discussed the Academic Perspective of Ethics & Corporate Governance.
2) In the second session, Shri Sunil Srivastava, CGM, LHO, State Bank of India, Kolkata, Shri Hemant Kanoria, Chairman & Managing Director, SREI Infrastructure Finance Ltd. and Shri B. B. Chatterjee, Executive Vice President & Secretary, ITC Ltd. exchanged their views regarding the practitioners` perspective on the subject matter - Ethics & Corporate Governance.
3) Third session witnessed the panel members – Shri Prashant Saran, Whole Time Member, SEBI, Dr. Deepali Pant Joshi, Executive Director, Reserve Bank of India and Shri Madhav Reddy, MD & CEO, Calcutta Stock Exchange Ltd. brainstorming over the regulatory perspective aspect.
The event received wide participation from the Corporate Sector.
Conference on Ethics & Corporate Governance in Mumbai
NISM in collaboration with the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) organized a conference on 'Ethics & Corporate Governance' on September 26, 2013 at Hotel Sofitel, BKC, Mumbai. Shri. S. N. Ananthasubramanian, President, ICSI, in his welcome address, focused on the transition of Company Secretary to Corporate governance Professional.
Shri. U. K. Sinha, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India, delivered the inaugural address and focused on the need for strengthening corporate governance principles in organisations. Smt. Rama Bijapurkar, Management Consultant, was the keynote speaker at the conference.
Dr. Sandip Ghose, Director, NISM explained the role of Ethics and Governance in current perspective. The conference theme was discussed in three technical sessions as follows:
1) Shri. M. S. Sahoo, Secretary ICSI, Shri. Subrata Sarkar, IGIDR and Dr. Abhijit Phadnis, Management Consultant deliberated the Academic Perspective of Ethics & Corporate Governance.
2) In the second session, Dr. A. K. Khandelwal, Former CMD, Bank of Baroda, and Shri. M. M. Chitale, Managing Partner, Mukund M. Chitale & Co. Chartered Accountants discussed the Practitioner`s Perspective on the subject matter.
3) Third session saw the panel consisting of Smt. Grace Elizabeth Koshie, Former PCGM RBI and Shri. Sundaresen, CGM SEBI, moderated by Shri. R. K. Nair, Member IRDA exploring the regulatory perspective of Ethics & Corporate Governance.
4) Smt. Chitra Ramakrishna, MD & CEO of National Stock Exchange of India Ltd. Graced the event with her valedictory address.