About PGCM (DSFM) Programme
Data has emerged as a new functional requirement in modern-age decision making. All organizations treat data as an input to arrive at any decision-making pertaining to their products and services. The Post Graduate Certificate in Management (Data Science in Financial Markets), offered by the National Institute of Securities Markets, is a premier programme which provides the blended knowledge of modern finance and its various application in collaboration with data processing techniques and tools to make, alter, various financial products, to make them more suitable for each class of investors. It offers a unique opportunity to learn and make use of the available financial data to make informed business decisions, keeping in mind the profitability and customer satisfaction. PGCM (DSFM) is a 14-month regular weekend programme, hosted at NISM’s facility in Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai, and is approved by the All India Council of Technical Education.
PGCM (DSFM) is ideal for Individuals with a passion for financial markets and keenness to acquire in-depth understanding of data mining techniques and financial analytics, to offer and innovate new-age financial products. The programme is suitable for both working professionals and fresh graduates.
Graduates from various disciplines, such as Commerce & Accounting, Management, Economics, Law, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, etc. will develop their analytical capabilities for financial markets.
What do I learn?
PGCM (DSFM) will enable professionals to undertake data mining with powerful tools to find trends and answer questions for businesses, researchers, non-profit organizations, academic institutions, and governments. The key takeaways from the programme are as follows:
- The programme will equip professionals with necessary financial knowledge and data mining skills to mould and design better and cost-efficient financial products, creation of efficient risk management system and systematic analysis of available financial information to make informed management decisions.
- The programme will provide a platform to its participants to learn the intricacies of Finance and modern age Data Science tools to develop the ability to support their decisions through analytic reasoning using variety of statistical and mathematical techniques.
- The curriculum covers topics such as Financial Products and Institutions, Programming language for Financial applications, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Algorithmic Trading, Big Data Processing and Visualization and combines academic elegance and business relevance to facilitate the participants to learn modalities of various financial products, followed by analytical techniques and weaves them with applications for data-based decision making.
- Dissemination of knowledge of various financial products to create level playing field between finance and non-finance professionals.
- An integral part of the learning experience is the use of Data Science and Analytics tools wherein the participants get hands-on exposure to R, Tableau, and Python.
- Lectures and hands-on sessions will be conducted by eminent faculty, industry leaders and experts.
Where does PGCM (DSFM) lead to?
PGCM (DSFM) could lead to the following job profiles, which involves the fusion of data science techniques and financial analytics:
- Credit Research and Ratings
- Investment Evaluation and Portfolio Management
- Risk Modelling
- Claim Processing
- Fraud Detection
- Analysing Financial Statements
- Equity Research
PGCM (DSFM) comprises of five trimesters having 16 courses and project / internship carrying a total of 45 credits. The curriculum is designed to provide research-based inputs and industry insights through a team of academicians and market experts. The detailed curriculum is as follows:
|Subject Code||Trimester I||Hours||Credits|
|Subject Code||Trimester II||Hours||Credits|
|202||Financial Institutions & Products||15||1.5|
|203||Advanced Computer Programming||30||3|
|204||Econometric and Time Series Analysis||30||3|
|Subject Code||Trimester III||Hours||Credits|
|303||Market Microstructure and Algorithmic Trading||30||3|
|304||Machine Learning and Deep Learning Models||30||3|
|Subject Code||Trimester IV||Hours||Credits|
|401||Applications of Data Science in Securities Markets, Insurance Markets and Banking (Credit Risk)||15||1.5|
|402||Financial Data and Management||15||1.5|
|403||Security Analysis and Portfolio Management||30||3|
|404||Big Data Processing and Visualization||30||3|
|Subject Code||Trimester V||Hours||Credits|
|Total Programme Credits||45|
The performance of participants is assessed on continuous evaluation process in each trimester. Evaluation is through quizzes, surprise tests, mid-term tests, end-term examinations, class participation, presentations, submissions, projects, etc., as may be indicated by the faculty members in the course outline. At the end of the programme, participants shall be awarded with Grades, subject-wise as well as the CGPA. The PGCM (DSFM) Certification will be awarded to successful candidates at a convocation ceremony.
The programme will take place in class-room mode on weekends at NISM’s facility in the Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai. The class timings would be as follows:
|Day||Timings||Teaching Hours||Break Time|
|Saturday||6 pm to 9:15 pm||3 hours||15 Minutes|
|Sunday||10 am to 5 pm||6 hours||
Note: The classes may begin in online format (webinar-mode), given the COVID-19 pandemic situation. After the improvement in COVID-19 pandemic situation, classes will be held only in class-room mode, and students have to attend classes in class room mode. No exemption will be given to anyone from attending classes. Prospective students of the program are requested to make a note of the same.
Hostel facility is available, at NISM Campus in Patalganga, for the benefit of participants from outside Mumbai.
NISM is pleased to invite applications for admissions to Post Graduate Certificate in Management (Data Science in Financial Markets) 2022-23.
Graduates from any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized University under 10+2+3 stream are eligible. Provisional admission will be granted to those in the final year of graduation and subject to confirmation of the aforesaid criterion.
Candidates will be selected based on their profile and their performance in the personal interview (online).
How to Apply?
1. New user has to register by clicking on “Click here to Apply Now” button.
2. Upon successful registration, a User-ID and Password will be sent to registered email ID and mobile number of the candidate.
3. Fill the Application form and upload all relevant documents.
4.Complete the application form by paying the application fee – Rs. 500/-
Important Dates for AY 2023-24
|Start Date for Application||To be announced|
|Last Date for Application||To be announced|
|Date of commencement of interviews||To be announced|
|Declaration of Merit List:||To be announced|
|Commencement of Program:||As per AICTE norms|
Admission related FAQs
Dr. Kirti Arekar
Professor - School for Securities Education (SSE)
Dr. Dhiraj Jain
Professor - School for Securities Education (SSE)
Dr. Kapil Shrimal
Associate Professor – School for Securities Education (SSE)
Dr. Narsimhulu Siddula
Assistant Professor - School for Securities Education (SSE)
Mr. Suneel Sarswat